Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Mission Master of Arts - Half Completed!

It has been over a year since I came to Hyderabad. Well, if you minus vacation time, I have only "lived" here eight months but technically, it is still a year. At first thought, time seems to have flown past, but if I ponder a bit, I suppose it didn't exactly fly. I have just been enjoying myself so much that I haven't noticed the months fade into each other. 
Or have I? 
There have been certain times when I've missed home terribly, missed my family and friends and the familiarity of Ahmedabad, and often at these times, I have considered dropping everything and going back. Just to return to my comfort zone and not have to confront life in all its complexity. 
But then, I'm not a kid anymore. I can't go running away from things just because I feel overwhelmed. I have to accept and manage whatever comes my way; to learn my lessons and grow as a person. 
Hyderabad - and the University I study at here, in particular - have given me a lot over the past year: freedom, space, confidence, contact with creative, intellectual minds, a broadened window through which to see the world, and most importantly, a teeny bit of wisdom. I don't think it's any coincidence that my wisdom teeth all came out after I'd spent some time here. 
I am so much more mature now. I don't react to things as impulsively as I used to; I don't take life as seriously anymore but instead focus on taking my goals seriously. I am more open to new experiences. 
Academically, I have done things I'd never thought of before: learned to make short films and radio programs and handle heavy reading which initially made no sense. I did a lot better at all these things than I'd expected to. And my happiness knows no bounds. 
There are still days when all I want to do is eat Mummy ke haath ka khaana and sleep in my own single bedroom but I know that in order to gain somethings, you have to make a few tiny sacrifices. Coming to Hyderabad was like a challenge to me because I have difficulty with little things like crossing roads and remembering directions and using public transport alone but I am so proud that I managed everything perfectly and proved to myself that I am capable of more that I usually give myself credit for. 
I'm half done with my master's degree and not sure of what will come next, but I do know that whatever will, I am ready to embrace it.

0 scribbles scribbled back to me: