Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

The world is not getting safer. But that does not mean we stop living.

The past few days, I have been kind of hoping that the world would indeed end today. We'd all die and there would be no more problems to face, duties to fulfill, dreams to accomplish. There would be no more difficult questions to seek answers to, or situations to grapple with. We would all go poof! and be at peace at last. At long last.
Especially the women of India. There would be no more burden to shoulder, no men to hide from or struggle against, no dangers to avert, no threats to our safety and existence. Because, uh, we would all just cease to exist. How nice.
I do not want to rant. About how I am fed up of being a girl. About how the world is unfair. About the Delhi gang rape case that's got me emotionally paralyzed. About how I hate growing up and facing the future. No, I don't want to rant. So here's what I'm going to say:
The world is not getting safer, just like it's not getting any cleaner or bigger or better. We are all majorly (yes I know that's not a real word) SCREWED and are doomed to meet a terrible end, much worse than the 2012 apocalypse (because hey, what could be worse than surviving some more years in this messed up world?). However, that does not mean I stop living: that is, doing the things that make me happy or give me fulfillment.
As much as I would like to go to bed and never wake up to the future (provided that I have one), I can't do that. Because limbo is a luxury that the living cannot afford. To hang around and do nothing is for the dead. Even if the world is not safe, I can't stop going out and doing the things I need to do. I can't stop chasing my dreams, I can't just give up in fear that I may be attacked or whatever. If bad things are supposed to ensue, they will ensue regardless of what I do or don't do. Though of course, that doesn't mean I should go and engage in some completely reckless behaviour that as good as invites trouble to come and get me. All I'm saying is that in the quest to be 'safe', I can't stop living. I have to do whatever I need to do, and I have to go wherever I need to go. Because if I don't, then I might as well be dead then, right?
I end here with something my friend told me her dad said once:
"Maut to yuhin badnaam hai, takleef to zindagi deti hai." 
Death just has a bad reputation. It's life that actually hurts us.

Sigh.



0 scribbles scribbled back to me: