Pages

Friday, October 31, 2014

7 Reasons why I am doing NaNoWriMo

If you’re wondering what is NaNoWriMo, read this post to know more, and if you like writing, sign up! Once you sign up or if you have already signed up like me (in which case you are awesome – round of applause and imaginary virtual candy for you!), let me know so that we can be "writing buddies". Even though I would generally describe myself as an antisocial hermit (is that an oxymoron?), I still think having writing partners will make the 30-day-novel-writing-challenge thing easier and more fun. Here is my NaNoWriMo profile page where you can add me as a writing buddy: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/mehak016
If you’re confused and don’t understand how the whole thing works, check out the website, there’s lots of useful information and inspiration there!
So the challenge starts tomorrow, or rather when the clock strike 12 tonight, and because I know that I’m soon going to lose motivation to keep writing, I’m noting down the top seven reasons why I want to do this challenge and hopefully win:

  1. I love books. So I want to try and write one of my own.
  2. I have been a member of NaNoWriMo for three years but never even attempted the challenge; what’s the point of being a member then? It’s high time I brave up and Just. Do. It.
  3. It will help impart the glorious habit of writing every single day, which is something I’ve wanted to inculcate for the longest time.
  4. I turn another year older this November. A first draft of a novel will be an accomplishment to prove that I have my shit together in life. (Which should hopefully help abate the existential crisis I seem to be perennially battling)
  5. I have been trying to write said novel for years. By trying I mean I’ve written a bit, then edited, then thought it’s crappy and abandoned the idea. Then repeated this process n number of times. I won’t tell you how many times. It’s embarrassing.
  6. For at least a month, I’ll have an answer to that annoying question people keep asking me: "So what are you doing these days?” “I’m writing a novel!” I’ll declare with a smug smile.
    “What’s it about?”
    “It’s about annoying people and the unwanted questions that they ask.”
    Nah, not really. Actually, I’m highly unlikely to tell too many people I’m writing a novel. It’ll just spew more annoying questions and I’d rather just be left alone. So I’ll smile and give a vague answer about what I’m doing and then pretend to listen to the suggestions they so kindly dole out about what I could do with my life. In my head, I’ll be thinking my favorite quote:
       
  1. I want to be a novelist. It’s my ultimate dream. Enough said.

0 scribbles scribbled back to me: