Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Something to do this November

Apart from wishing me a Happy Birthday, why not write a novel and become famous? Okay, no guarantees about that last bit but you can at least ATTEMPT to write some semblance of a novel. By participating in NaNoWriMo, the (inter)National Novel Writing Month - an online initiative in which thousands of writers across the world - from beginners to pros, dreamers to achievers - take up the challenge of penning an original 50,000 word novel in 30 days. That comes to about 1700 words a day, which for me at least translates into multiple words beginning with "D" - Discipline, Devotion, Dedication, Drive, a strict and scary Deadline, a hearty dose of Drama and an incurable feeling of Doom. Perhaps even a sizzling shot of danger as is indicated by an event that's held sometime in the month - the Night of Writing Dangerously. That of course happens in the US where NaNoWriMo was initiated fifteen years ago by Chris Baty .
But hey, we can have our own Night of Writing Dangerously here in India too. Provided of course that we at least write to start with. As someone who has wanted - and tried - to write a novel for an unspeakable number of years now, I feel like NaNoWriMo 2014 has the potential to finally make me achieve my target. In fact, I have been signed up on their website since 2011 but could never bring myself to actually participate because I was convinced I didn't have time or wasn't good enough or the end result wouldn't be good enough. All lame-ass excuses clearly. But enough is enough. I finally feel ready now and the story in my head makes a lot more sense with all the revisions I've mentally made over the years, so hopefully, by the end of November, it will all be out of me, in solid, beautiful black and white that I can look at and feel proud about rather than cringe.
But inside, I can't help worrying about the procrastination and lack of discipline that plagues me and can jeopardize any initiative. That's why I'm announcing my commitment to write and finish the challenge - and I think the more people join in the better. There are already many people from India participating in the challenge and if the idea at all appeals to you - why not join in? We can form an alliance of sorts to keep each other motivated throughout the month and prevent laziness from creeping in. So click over to the website (http://nanowrimo.org/), read-up, sign up, and turn up next month to write up! 


Just another reason why November is awesome. :) 

1 scribbles scribbled back to me:

Ashwini Sane said...

Good luck with your writing.It is a process and it takes time. So never back down Hope you achieve all the success. Stay positive.Best Wishes!