Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

My Year

At the tail end of 2014, as the year breathes its last and lays down to rest in the world's memory, it's time for my traditional reflection/retrospect post.
If you go by the Facebook 'My Year' thing that is so popular, it seems I haven't lived at all this year. I guess there is some element of truth in this because it was harder than usual to remember defining moments from each of the past twelve months. But there are some really awesome things that happened so a better way of putting it is to say that I have lived in pockets, with some months packed with activity and others just passing by dull and unexciting.

January
A close friend from college tied the knot. It was an intercultural "love marriage" and I do quite love love marriages so it was a fun way to start the year.

February
A best friend suggested I submit a paper to the 2014 conference of the International Association of Media and Communication Research. I did with full confidence that it was not "good enough" to be accepted but it was and I was So Thrilled!

March-April
These two months passed in one big blur which marked the end of one year teaching at a school in Ahmedabad. I learned a lot and I (hopefully) taught a lot but I had had more than enough and knew it was time to move on - that is, quit the job and focus on my writing dreams.

May
I traveled to Hyderabad again to quit my job and to tell the truth, the trip is a bit of a blur, though I remember receiving a lot of presents and beginning to plan for a vacation with friends...

June
I think this was one month where I truly didn't live at all. It was disgustingly hot in Ahmedabad and I was prepping for my IAMCR paper presentation that was coming up the following month.

July
The first international conference I ever attended - in Hyderabad - I met a lot of really amazing people and shared my work with them and generally had a good time. I suppose it was worth the significant amount of money I spent on the conference fees. :P

August
The Trip of a Lifetime! Mumbai and Goa - eating, shopping, lazing, and exploring Goa in a rented car using my (not so) trusty GPS - bliss! (Despite a few rough patches which anyone is bound to encounter when travelling with friends for the first time :P)

September
I wrote an article for Teacher Plus! This was my only real "published" piece of writing this year which is a bit shameful because I should have written a lot more stuff, but oh well, no point regretting now I guess.
Also, my friend S came visiting!
And, I had a small reunion with some college classmates and our favorite professor. :)

October
Started gearing up and making plans for a wedding in the family. (Not mine, just FYI.) Marriages make me happy even though I personally don't believe in them. :P
And, and - my paper proposal got accepted to the Journal of Children and Media! If the final paper gets selected, it will be my first academic publishing credit! :)

November
Perhaps this was my most busy month of the year. What with NaNoWriMo, house renovations (in lieu of the upcoming wedding), shopping (also in lieu of The Wedding), and of course, my birthday.

December
A month of ideas and plans and hopes and dreams. I went for a movie with my college friends after so, so long.. - PK - which is a fun movie and - for anyone with a brain - it's not hurting any religious sentiments. It's just raising some interesting questions and holding up a mirror to society. Why vandalize movie halls just because you don't like what you see? Misplaced notions about religion are going to be the end of humanity. The Peshawar atrocity just proved it yet again. And still, people will never move beyond fighting over Gods.

Anyways, so that winds up 2014. The coming year has a lot of potential to be better and I hope to be more proactive, productive and proficient in everything I do tomorrow onward.
So long!







2 scribbles scribbled back to me:

mitostargazer said...

Hi Mehak!

Revisiting your blogs after a long time.

Congratulations on the paper! What are further plans now?

Happy reading, and more importantly, writing this year :)

Mehak said...

@mitostargazer, welcome back and thanks! Further plans - I don't know - just want to write a lot :)