Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Read more, live more.

Like so many people I know, I love books: the look of them, the feel of them, and of course that famed deliciously musty scent of them - old and new.

But I love e-books too. Or rather, I love my e-book reader, my Kindle PaperWhite.


When people complain about e-books and the forever imminent demise of paper, I don’t get it. E-books are a good thing. A great thing. One of the best things that have happened to me, technology-wise.

Before buying my Kindle last year, I was really skeptical about whether it was a worthy purchase, whether I would enjoy it the same way I enjoy paper books. It was needless fret. I love e-books even more than I love paper books, mostly because I can change the font size (make it bigger to make it easier reading for my weak eyes) but also because I can learn the meaning of new words without having to move an inch (thanks to the in-built dictionary) and because I can highlight stuff and have it automatically saved in a text file full of highlighted stuff. And contrary to popular perception, I feel that Kindle strains my eyes far less than reading paper books.  


Then there is the practical value of how e-books make reading a much, much cheaper affair despite the intense moral conflict involved with downloading free versions of books that are not supposed to be available free. But I’d rather not pursue that line of discussion right now. Or ever. After all, we’re all entitled to our share of guilty pleasures, aren’t we?


To get back to the point, today is World Book Day and even though I always say I’m not a fan of such “Days”, I thought I’d commemorate by listing out the books I’ve read so far in 2015. I usually don’t keep track of how much I read every year but it’s something I’d like to do this time, so here goes:

  1. Red Rain, by R.L Stine - Supposed to be spooky, isn’t really. Borders on amusing, in fact. Gripping read.
  1. Girls in White Dresses, by Jennifer Close - Was a suggestion from a Thought Catalog post. Didn’t like it much. I’ve read better “chick-lit” as the genre is called.
  1. Adultery, by Paulo Coelho - The first ever Coelho book that disappointed. I just didn’t get it. It lacked his usual magic.
  1. The God of Small Things, by Arundhati Roy - Err, I’m not sure how I feel about this book. It was beautifully written, of course, but I don’t know, it’s also sort of depressing, sort of a let-down.
  1. The Lowland, by Jhumpa Lahiri - Dedicated an entire blog post to this one. Well-written but not my kind of story.
  1. Life of Pi, by Yann Martel- Brilliant.
  1. The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger - Again, brilliant. I loved the writing style!
  1. Looking for Alaska, by John Green - After reading the Fault in our Stars and An Abundance of Katherines, this book didn’t live up to the kind of awesomeness I associate with John Green. But it’s still a great book if you enjoy YA fiction as much as I do.   
So that’s 8 books in 4 months, which means I’m reading approximately 2 books a months. Not entirely accurate because I almost didn’t read at all in January and February on account of wedding festivities at home. Also, I started on several other books which I then kind of abandoned halfway. I hope to get back and finish them sometime, since I’m aiming to read at least 50 books by the end of the year or at the very least 30 or 35.



Here's wishing you great reads, always. :) 






1 scribbles scribbled back to me:

laddu said...

woha.. how do you get time to read so much ??

and do let me know how u get those e-books :P