Pages

Monday, July 6, 2015

A rhyme. And time.

Another overcast but rain-less morning. Like the skies, I have been dilly-dallying. I have put off writing this post for so long. So much that all the ideas I kept having became redundant. It is amazing and sadly ironic how much I shrink away from writing despite proudly claiming myself a writer. Maybe I should call myself a reader, because I seem to do a lot more of that than anything else. Not exactly a bad thing but kind of a hindrance when the things to write list keeps growing and growing and than suddenly spirals completely out of control.

Back when I was at school, there was a rhyme we used to say when someone asked "why?" and we didn’t have/want to reply:
Because the sky is high
And you’ll marry a Maasai
In June-July

I used to hate that rhyme. Mostly because I was often the one asking the "why?" and I don’t like it when people evade answering questions. Also, it makes absolutely no sense, though in retrospect, what does in childhood?

Anyhow, the reason I remembered the stupid rhyme is that of course, it’s June-July and also, this month marks exactly a decade since I left school and Kenya. It’s a little unbelievable at first – like oh my god, where did the years go? – but when I calm down, I realize so much has happened/is happening. Life has transformed and turned out in completely different ways than what I had hoped/planned/imagined. That’s not to say that it’s bad, it’s good – the unexpected, the unfamiliar, the unforeseen stuff is what makes the human experience worthwhile, even if it doesn’t always seem this way at first.

These days, I find myself very interested in being spiritual and taking care of my mind and body and soul. You see, even though I would be defined as a “quiet” person, my mind is anything but. It just keeps whirring and stirring and going on and on which often makes it difficult to fall asleep. So I started practicing meditation – very simple, guided audio stuff that helps calm if not clear my overfull ever-buzzing head. 

I also stopped using WhatsApp because for like the longest time, I feel that it kills brain cells with useless nonsense information and conversations to match. I feel so much lighter without hearing the annoying little beep-beeps of WhatsApp throughout the day. Good riddance if ever there was one.

With my calmer, tidier mind, I am working on some exciting writing projects and charting out even more exciting plans for the next phase of my life. After all, it’s been a decade since school. Soon, it will be a decade since college. And university. There’s so much to achieve till then, so much to do, see, experience. And even though I mentioned above that life always turns out in unexpected ways, you never get anything or anywhere without putting in some effort first. Laying the groundwork and redoubling efforts. What better time to re-evaluate goals and get stuff rolling than mid year?
After all, its June-July
And you don’t want to marry a Maasai
Because the sky is high. 
You'd much rather just fly. 
Away, good day, good bye, 

*Though, technically, I didn't exactly graduate. The way I left school is an interesting story that I will probably write later this month, around the 18th which is the exact day that I left Kenya forever. So stay tuned, if at all you are curious. :P 
(Picture from whisper.sh)

1 scribbles scribbled back to me:

Ashwini Sane said...

Hey am too in the same 'blank space'. If one cant write than one should read. Hey I have also been to Africa and one of the places was Kenya. Was there for 3 years. Small world!Take care!